Monday, December 12, 2005

Christmas Gift Shopping: Or, Why I'm Going Straight to Hell

People for whom I must buy Christmas gifts:

Mom
Dad
Sister
spiceboy
spice mom
Misc. friends

Gift purchases so far:

Mom = 0
Dad = 0
Sister = 0
spiceboy = 0
spice mom = 0
Misc. friends = 0

Purchases I have made for myself while I'm supposed to be shopping for others:

1 hideous-yet-cute plaid skirt
1 blue sweater trimmed with lace to match aforementioned skirt
1 black lace camisole
1 black dress that makes me look really skinny

Am I a bad daughter/sister/future wife/future daughter-in-law/friend?

Maybe.

But am I a well-dressed bad daughter/sister/future wife/future daugther-in-law/friend?

Absolutely.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is probably as good a time as any to bring up a holiday I've created. It's called Giftus. It occurs every year on July 16th. The holiday is celebrated by buying oneself an expensive gift. Traditional meal for Giftus is Outback Steakhouse. Mark your calendar, but I see you're celebrating early.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my simple rule for the Season of Selfish Shame: for every holiday-related thing I do, I am allowed to indulge in two completely frivolous activities that benefit only me. For example, if I listen to the song "White Christmas" in a mall, I get to to to Ann Taylor and buy myself two sweaters.

Oh, and gift shopping does not commence until December 20th at the earliest. That's my official "hard start" date, which eases any residual guilt enormously.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Bored Housewife said...

I always feel so bad when I do that...until I get home and try everything on again!! Screw 'em. Tis the season...

11:57 PM  
Blogger artdetective said...

I never know what I want for Christmas until I start shopping for other people, all of whom suddenly become impossibly difficult to find presents for. I realize at that moment how very easy it is to find presents that suit me. "Going straight to hell" sounds a little harsh. Going straight to the mall, more like it.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so with you on being the cute future daughter-in-law!

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home