Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Definitely the Best Moment of the Week

My dad called me tonight. He called just to say hello, something he never does, as my mother is in charge of most phone conversations.

So we chatted for awhile, and he told me all about his new car and the latest drama with the tenants in his rental property. And then he told me that he is feeling really good these days, and that he is just thrilled with life right now. He said he just felt like the luckiest guy in the world and that things were so good that he wished they would never change.

And it just thrilled me to hear him say that.

Then he asked how I was doing and I told him about work and about Betty and about my recent obsession with baking. And I told him that I'm feeling really good these days, and really happy. And I told him that even though spiceboy and I are crammed into this tiny apartment together (with seemingly no hope of ever affording New York City real estate), we've got quite an amazing little life here, and that things are so good I wish they would never change.

My dad understood.

And I wished I could jump through the phone and hug him and feel his scratchy cheek against mine and smell his dad smell--like after shave and coffee.

I get my love of tiny moments from my dad. And I know we were loving this tiny moment together.

And then he had to go, so I said, "Hey, Dad?"

And he said, "What?"

And I said, "I'm really glad we did this."

And I could hear the smile in his voice when he said, "Me, too."

I missed him so much in that moment that it made my stomach hurt.

And then we said goodbye, and both of our voices were thick with happy tears as we hung up the phone.