Monday, June 04, 2007

365 Days Later

And so, spiceboy and I have made the long journey down the higgledy-piggledy trail known as the first year of marriage, and yesterday we crossed the finish line.

Our shoes are a bit scuffed, and we get the occasional blister, but all in all we’re learning how to hold hands and walk at the same time (difficult for me, as I’m extremely clumsy), and we manage to make each other laugh more often than we make each other cry, which I take as a good sign.

And yesterday, as I went about my business, I couldn’t help but imagine the ghost of myself from last year, rushing around doing last minute wedding day errands, and I thought about how nothing is ever as we expect it to be, and how important it is to be true to yourself, because that’s the only way you’re ever going to be good at loving anybody.

And the lyrics to a song I haven’t thought of in years was running through my head all day yesterday, as if on repeat:

i remember the time when i came so close to you
i let everything go it seemed the only truth
and i bought you that ring it seemed the thing to do
what makes me think i could start clean slated
the hardest to learn was the least complicated


Happy anniversary, spiceboy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Madame Pinot said...

congrats on your first year of marriage! does it seem like it was just yesterday for you? it does me!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

YAY! Happy anniversary!

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home