Friday, June 09, 2006

Back in a New York Groove

It's good to be home.

It feels great to be back--to walk my regular route to work in my ever-unfashionable sneaker/skirt combo, to carry my work shoes in a plastic bag, to stopping to buy blueberries from the fruit guy on the corner, to breathing the stinky New York air.

It's comforting to get back to regular routines. And it's comforting to know that my wedding to-do list has been safely disposed of and I'll never have to look at it again.

So I'm married now. It doesn't really feel any different. Except that I'm very tired and very poor.

Oh, and I've never been more in love with spiceboy than I am right now.

I know--barf, right?

But it's true.

So I guess it's time to show you some pictures, huh? Before I get started, I have to thank our amazing photographer, Man With a Camera, who is not only a dear dear friend, but one of the best damn photographers ever. And he makes me look good, and I love that. So if any of you Pittsburgh readers need a photographer--call him! You won't be sorry. And if any of you New York readers ever need a photographer--call him! That way he'll have to come to Manhattan for a visit.

I also want to thank my most amazing sister, who never left my side through this whole thing, and kept me centered and laughing by making fart noises to entertain me--and who wore the most amazing outfit to my wedding--a green plaid leisure suit! I'll post pics if I can. I miss you already, Drea (pignut).

I also want to thank you, the readers. You've made this whole process incredibly fun for me, and I'm glad that I got to share it with you.

So let's get to it, shall we? I'll do a little chronological narrative for you here:

This is us during the ceremony. Every time I look at this photo, I feel like I'm looking at two of those little people who stand on the top of a wedding cake--well, if they made cake toppers with a white girl and a Chinese guy.

The whole thing still feels totally unreal to me. And could spiceboy be any cuter? I think not.



This is me during the ceremony. I look all sweet and bridey and like I'm totally in the moment, don't I? Well, here's what I was really thinking: Oh my god, I can't breathe, I hope I look normal and that my eyes aren't bugging out of my head. Geez, Rev. Dave sure has a lot of words written down in that tiny little book of his--I wonder how long this is going to take? What if I screw up when I hand off my bouquet? What if I screw up when I say my vows? Gah. Gaaah. Gaaaaaaaaaah!



This is our first kiss. I absolutely could not wipe the smile off of my face. And when we turned to face the crowd and everyone clapped, I thought I would die of happiness.

I know, I know--barf.




Here is a picture of me cracking myself up over something totally inane while spiceboy looks at me like I'm a psycho. This happens whether we are in our wedding finery or in sitting on the futon in our pajamas. It's a totally real moment, and that's why I love this photo.



This is taken on a balcony on the fourth floor of The Mattress Factory, with Pittsburgh in the background.



Same concept as above, only with a kiss instead.



Here we are making our best model faces.



Here is the reception space before everyone went inside. We hung all of the lanterns and the tulle and the spotlights with the help of some wonderful friends--Dear Friend ABS, Man With Camera, Mitch Please, Markie, and my sister.

The flower arrangements were designed by me and put together by my mom and Dear Friend ABS (who, incidentally, is the best MC ever), and the tables were set and decorated by the lovely Spice Crew, who took a night away from Spice World to help us make sure the wedding festivities went off without a hitch.



Here are the Spice Brothers. Aren't they so cute? Notice how Spice Brother is rocking the pinstripe Kenzo suit. Tres chic!



This was taken in the garden just before a HUGE (but short) thunderstorm hit. There were loud claps of thunder and lightning, but the crowd took it well. Every time there was a thunderclap, everyone yelled exaggerated oohs and aahs, then promptly lined up to get themselves another drink. Definitely our kind of guests!



This is a real shot of when it started to pour on us.



The yummy yummy cupcakes my mom made for the wedding. She made 204 cupcakes by hand. They don't look too threatening, right? WRONG! She used nearly 18 POUNDS of butter to make them.



This is our first dance. I didn't even want to do a first dance, but spiceboy talked me into it. We danced to La Vie En Rose by Edith Piaf. It's not our official "song" but we both love it so much, and it seemed very fitting. All in all, I think this was one of my favorite moments of the night. My stomach did that weird swoopy rollercoaster thing through the whole song.

I know. Barf, barf, barf.



So that's it.

Was it a good wedding? It was sooooo a good wedding! It's not going to make it into the next issue of InStyle Weddings or anything, but it was exactly the way we wanted it, and we still can't believe we pulled it off.

So it's Friday morning, almost a week since the wedding, and we are here, just as we've always been, in our 350 sq ft apartment on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, trying to make our relationship work the best way we know how.

What will our first year of marriage bring?

--The hyphenating of our last names? (still under negotiation)
--The purchase of an apartment? (still under discussion)
--Becoming proud parents of a puppy? (under serious consideration)
--Become real proud parents of a bouncing baby? (highly doubtful at this juncture)

Certainly there will be more laughing and more learning--isn't that what marriage is about?

Whatever it is, I can't wait to find out.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhh! Beautiful pictures, ceremony, reception, dress, and moments! You look amazing! Congratulations again!!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you are such a beautiful bride!!! wow! gorgeous! simply elegant and gorgeous!!! you and spiceboy look so happy and giddy! congratulations!! you are married now!!!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

this is all so wonderful! man with a camera IS wonderful! everything was so beautiful and elegant. not barfy at all.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Thank you for sharing the pictures, and congratulations again!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Paperback Writer said...

Congratulations!

See? I told you, you'd make it!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Congratulations! I like the dress and the hair thingy and everything else. Lovely.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Tracy Kaufman said...

I love how you did your hair!

You'd be getting an apartment bigger than 350 sq. ft before becoming the proud parents of a puppy, right?

10:03 AM  
Blogger Cristin said...

So beautiful! I've been following your wedding saga and was so happy to see pictures up today :) Congratulations!! It looks like it was just perfect.

11:36 AM  
Blogger e$ said...

I just started reading like, last week, but these pictures are **so gorgeous** it makes me feel like maybe my own wedding is a wonderful possibility rather than an imminent disaster :)

thank you!!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Joan said...

What a beautiful wedding. hmmm that spice boy isn't to hard on these old eyes either. And you looked gorgeous!!

Now you have your whole lives to look forward to...enjoy !!!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Lisa Ann said...

Lovely. Just lovely. Wish you & spiceboy the best.

Can I have one of those cupcakes?

1:11 PM  
Blogger kate.d. said...

hooray! everything looked really, really beautiful. thanks for sharing these with us :)

2:55 PM  
Blogger Bored Housewife said...

ooooh!!!! You are so beautiful, and your happiness just surges off the page (seriously, I had to duck...). You guys are simply adorable. I'm glad you let me know you were back, because I wouldn't have known when to check! It looks like you have great taste in reception decor, clothes, and oh yeah--boys! :) Happy, happy marriage to you! You're a "Mrs." however you slice the last names. Feels pretty funky, that one. I'm 8 years in and still not quite used to it (because I don't hear it very often).

Congrats, congrats!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Ah! I think when I first started reading it was something like 250 days until the wedding. And now it's done. Congratulations! Everything looks beautiful.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool to see a picture of you. You both look Happy. Happy new beginnings!

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GAH! So pretty. So classy. So sentimental. So in love. The pictures are so, so lovely.

Here's to many years of disgustingly, sickeningly sweet, mind-blowing, delirious happiness!

3:18 PM  
Blogger D said...

Absolutely fabulous photographs. You're dress is so wonderful. Congratulations! I hope you have a great wonderful life ahead of you.

I look forward to the photographs of the new puppy next!

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, what a lovely, lovely wedding! And you both looked - dare I say it - RADIANT!

Wishing you MUCH joy and happiness.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Milo said...

The Kenzo suit is pimp. Straight up.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Crazy Girl City said...

Wow. What amazing photos. They are so...... real...and not posed and forced. You look incredibly happy, not to mention absolutely glowing. Congrats again!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Special K said...

These pictures are so lovely, and you look so happy that even a crabbed cynic such as Yours Truly can't help but smile right along with you.

Congratulations, you two.

(And that is seriously the sweetest puppay in the whole entire world.)

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found you through Bust's Girl Wide Web -- and I just happen to be getting married outside of Pittsburgh (birthplace of moi) next year. Love your wedding shots and the simplicity of it all -- and I am SO CALLING YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER!

Yay!

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home