Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Vows

Last night, spiceboy and I sat on the couch with the Food Network on mute on the TV, eating leftover cake from a wedding party his cousin threw for us last weekend, and trying to write our vows. The wonderful Rev. Dave gave us some sample vows to work from, and we were trying to come up with something that didn't sound quite so...

...what's the word?

Oh, yeah--lame.

Anyway.

As we read through the pre-fab vows, we noticed that lots of the words sounded a lot like either miliatry slogans or old Billy Joel songs--lots of over the top slogans and sappy proclamations.

But after several drafts (and several glasses of wine each), we finally came up with something that we both liked, and that wasn't too lame. And we passed the piece of paper back and forth and read it aloud to each other, just to make sure we were comfortable saying the words.

"So this is it," I said, munching on a fondant heart with our names written on it that I'd pried from the top of the leftover cake.

"This is it," said spiceboy.

"Are you okay with these words? These are the final words--these are the forever words," I said.

"I'm okay with it," he said. "Are you okay with it?" he asked me.

I chewed the fondant, which is kind of like a stickier version of chewing gum, and pondered this.

spiceboy sat cross-legged on our futon, in his orange t-shirt and baggy pajama bottoms and glasses, looking at me. I thought of all of the nights we've spent over the past five years in just the same way. I thought of all of the nights like it in the future. I thought of all of the funny, silly, little things that make me so in love with him and in love with our life and what we've built, and I tried to hold them still in my mind for just a moment, so I could remember them, because things are about to get very busy from now until the wedding.

"Yes," I said. "Yes I am."

6 Comments:

Blogger Paperback Writer said...

I have a suggestion. When the person doing the ceremony says "repeat after me," have him do it only three words at a time. Or you'll end up like me: standing there wide eyed, trying to remember what Wayne (our officiant) just said. Loki finally had to repeat it for me after Wayne first said them.

Just a little bit embarrassing, let me tell you. Oh, and having "waterproof" eyeliner is a LIE.

LIE I tell you!

8:34 AM  
Blogger kate.d. said...

at this particular point in time, this is exactly the story that i needed to hear. i needed to be reminded that moments like this are present in my own life, even though i forget it sometimes.

so thank you.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Tracy Kaufman said...

I didn't know people were allowed to hear each other's vows before the wedding! But that's such a nice story: congratulations to both of you.

Also, my sister got married last summer, and from her I gained this bit of wisdom: don't wear heels. She was going to wear heels on the big day, and then as she put them on in her room she twisted her ankle while trying to walk in them, and had to go down the aisle barefoot. Though going barefoot actually sounds pretty good to me...

11:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

how exciting!!! are you nervous yet? i am going to tell our minister to give me 2 words at a time. i hate being in front of a crowd and i get very nervous when all attention/eyes are on me. i just know i'm going to goof up!! i wish you all the best! your BIG DAY is coming soon and i can't wait to hear all about it!!!

12:17 PM  
Blogger City girl in Alaska said...

Cheers to you for selecting your vows over several glasses of wine. I make all of my major decisions that way! Seriously, I just got married, and trust me, no one will remember your vows, including you, unless you pull a Lady Di and mix his name up. The point is being together in a comitted relationship, not having a perfectly scripted day. Mazel tov!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Crazy Girl City said...

I am SO nervous because we are going to do our own vows. But I don't think we're going to show them to each other prior to.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home