Monday, April 24, 2006

Just Say No

No.

I mean, it’s just a tiny little word, right?

no no no no no no no no no

So why is it so hard for me to say?

No is final. No is firm. No can be assertive without being rude—but not always.

And I’m TERRIFIED of being rude.

So.

Instead of saying no, I try to find different, more creative ways to decline various invitations or duties that are foisted upon me.

But that NEVER works, and before I know it, I’m attending a lunch I have absolutely no business attending. Or a meeting that has nothing to do w/ me at all. Or helping out at a function that would have been better suited for someone else.

All because I couldn’t suck it up and say the one word that would make my life so much easier:

No.

There’s a difference between being a good friend or good coworker and being a pushover.

And I know I should say no more often.

I promise to say yes to saying no.

I'll start right now.

Oh, wait--I forgot.

I'll start this afternoon--just as soon as I get back from that lunch date I couldn’t say no to.

8 Comments:

Blogger J said...

You know, I can't say no to a good slice of cheesecake. I guess you're not alone in your mania afterall ;-)

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is common for a lot of people. Myself included. There's just something about having to say that magic no - that makes me totally incapable of doing it.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why would you say no when you could say yes and be resentful that you're doing something you don't want to be doing? old family habits are hard to break.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i'm so bad at saying no. it goes along with me not being able to speak in front of people, and not being assertive enough.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Paperback Writer said...

I'm such an easy read. People know when I say yes, that I really mean no. I'm going to try to work on that. :)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Crazy Girl City said...

I am with you. I have a hard time 'letting people down' with the no.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Yasmin said...

My husabdn calls me an approval whore - nice hey?

11:29 PM  
Blogger Yasmin said...

That was meant to husband - bad day!

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home