Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Best Wedding Present Ever

For any of you who read this blog regularly, you’ll know that the wedding process has been stressing me out a little bit.

Okay. A lot.

Last Wednesday, my stress level reached bridezilla-like proportions when spiceboy and I FINALLY mailed out our wedding invitations. In the days and hours leading up the the mailing, I double checked the guest list at least six times. And after spiceboy very carefully helped me stuff and stamp all of the envelopes, I double checked his work. Twice. He was not impressed with my attention to detail.

Humph.

Anyway, last Saturday, we received our first official reply cards—both from close friends.

And with these cards, I got best wedding present I could have gotten. And no, I’m not talking about the Cynthia Rowley plates or the Reidel wine glasses (although those would be nice, too).

I got to laugh. And let me tell you, I can’t remember the last time I laughed about something concerning the wedding.

On our reply cards, we left a requisite blank line so potential attendees could write down their names and the names of their guests. Only our friends weren’t satisfied with merely writing their names. Oh no. They also felt compelled to write strange little notes on the cards, for which I will be forever grateful:

Card #1: Paa-leez, bitches! You think I’d miss dis?!!!?

Card #2: Fuck yeah, man, of course we’ll be there!

After reading the cards, I stood in the living room/kitchen/bedroom of my 350 square foot apartment, and I laughed out loud.

After all of these months of planning and stressing and obsessing, I suddenly felt very loved. Receiving these cards reminded me of the fun part of this whole thing: I am in love with a wonderful man, and we are going to get married.

And all of the people we love most in the world are going to be there to celebrate it with us.

And really, how cool is that?

Is it going to be a fun wedding? It’s soooooo going to be a fun wedding.

5 Comments:

Blogger Special K said...

Most excellent. :)

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, ha! I've been blogged-ed! But hey, man, it's all you - you inspire us to miss you like crazy and cuss like truckers :-)

8:03 AM  
Blogger Downtown said...

That's pretty funny. I'll be sure to use the same technique when responding to all wedding invitations in the future...

1:59 PM  
Blogger mutts said...

What lovely friends you have!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Trouble said...

what a great post! Glad i discovered your blog via paperback writer's blog. I also date a chef. I even hope to marry (omg, i can't believe I actually wrote out the M-word) someday.

Congrats on your impending nuptials and cool-ass friends. :)

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home