Monday, March 27, 2006

A Birthday Present for my Future Mother In Law

me: I’d really like to get your mother something for her birthday. I was thinking of sending her flowers. Do you think she'd like flowers?

spiceboy
: Never send an old Chinese woman flowers. The only time the Chinese send flowers is when someone dies.

me: Ew. Well, what about a box of really good chocolates?

spiceboy: She doesn't have much of a sweet tooth.

me: Okay, but she's turning 70 and I want to give her a token of my affection. What do you think she'd really really like?

spiceboy: A grandson.

me: Oh my god!

spiceboy: Sorry—that’s probably what she’d really like.

me: How about a nice handbag instead?

spiceboy
: Yeah, that would work, too.

8 Comments:

Blogger Special K said...

I am so going to avoid making the obvious joke.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

how freaking funny!!! thanks for making me laugh this morning! so i guess we know what will happen on the honeymoon!! : )

8:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you don't mind. I linked to this post. Hilarious.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Crazy Girl City said...

My mom and my boy's mom both want the same thing. Guess it's a trend or something. Ha.

12:41 PM  
Blogger jo said...

haha! i think all moms want grandchildren. period. doesn't matter if you're not even attached at the moment...

1:26 AM  
Blogger Paperback Writer said...

I hate it when they do that.

I've been married for almost nine months and they've been saying stuff like this since day one!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Dude, my grandma wants ME to have a son. Like. Now. I think. Well, she wants me to find a husband first...

Handbag! Yes. (thumbs up_

11:36 AM  
Blogger Trouble said...

Or cash. My ex-husband's asian mother always loved getting cash as a present, which totally seemed SO WRONG to me on some white-girl level.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home