Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Dentist's Office

Today I had an appointment to see my dentist, Dr. Mohamed. Though I've never had a traumatic dental experience, going to the dentist always causes me a great deal of anxiety.

On the outside, I look like a normal, redheaded woman patiently flipping through Gourmet magazine and waiting for her appointment. But inside my head, it's a whole different story.

Thoughts I had while in the waiting room...

I hope this doesn’t hurt.

It shouldn’t hurt, right?

It'll be fine-- calm down. People have cavities filled every day.

But what if he was wrong and it’s more than a cavity? What if it’s a root canal or something worse? I’m not mentally prepared for anything more than a cavity. Oh, god, please let it only be a cavity.

What if I have to pee while he’s drilling? Maybe I should pee now. But I don’t have to pee now. I just peed before I left work.


Thoughts I had while in the dentist’s chair...

Dr. Mohamed is so nice. I love him.

Sure, he seems nice, but what if he’s a crazy sadistic dentist, like Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors?

The Novocain needle always hurts like a bitch.

What if he doesn’t shoot me up with enough Novocain and I can feel him drilling?

What if he hits a nerve while he’s drilling and it’s a really important nerve and it paralyzes my face?

My tongue feels swollen. What if I have some freakish reaction to the Novocain and my tongue wells up and I choke on my own tongue in the dentist’s chair?

Does Dr. Mohamed know CPR?

He’s getting the drill ready but I can still feel my face. I can still feel my face! Oh, god help me.

Ah—he’s drilling. Ah! Ah!

Oh. That’s not bad at all. I can’t even feel anything.

But now I have to pee.

I'm drooling all over myself. How gross is that?

Oooh—all done! That didn’t hurt at all.

Dr. Mohamed is so nice. I love him.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Ann said...

Oh! I need to schedule a DDS appt. Thanks for the reminder (and chuckle).

1:41 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Case said...

Seeing the dentist gives me heart palpitations! :(

5:39 PM  
Blogger Paperback Writer said...

I just had a dentist appointment. And though my teeth are in perfect order (thanks Dr. Parker!) my hygenist told me that my gums are swollen.

Damn, my brushing technique!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Me said...

OMG- root canals, bridges, braces for two years that just came off last year, fillings, crowns, whitenings...and the whole time I am so freaked out that I can't move and the dentist says, "my, you are always so calm-one of my best patients!"

I have, however, figured out at my wise old age to not only take pain medicine right before my appointments, but a shot of tequila as well. My teeth are so sensitive that just talking about cold water makes them hurt. Great, now they hurt.

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That whole "What if I have to pee?" thing? Always happens to me at the hairdresser. Today I went three times in between the root touch-up and the blow dry.

Wait...that sounded really weird. Ew.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home