Saturday, February 18, 2006

Grown Up

Most days, I still feel like a kid playing grown up. Most days, my life seems like some fun adventure I'm having--my job, living in New York, my relationship with spiceboy. I almost feel like my life belongs to someone else and I'll have to give it back soon. Kind of like Jennifer Garner in 13 Going on 30.

But on the way home from work last night, somewhere around 63rd and Third, I was going over my mental to-do list when it hit me.

I am a grown woman.

I have a real job.

I pay my own bills.

I have moved away from the town of my birth.

I have made a life for myself. On my own terms.


And for a moment, I felt very overwhelmed. Then that feeling gave way to joy.

Then I went home and ate an entire package of peanut M&M's while I was cooking dinner.

Because if a grown up wants to have dessert before dinner, she can.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She can also have brie, crackers and champagne for dinner like I did yesterday.

Yum.

8:34 PM  
Blogger cynic1 said...

This dessert thing is giving me a whole new perspective!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I have felt the exact same way, so many times. And I've been known to eat chocolate pudding for breakfast.

6:50 AM  
Blogger artdetective said...

Very cute. Yes, you can do whatever you damn well please!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Redhead Editor said...

I love peanut M&Ms. Pick your nose and cuss while you eat dessert. You can do anything you want.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I realized yesterday that I was starting to grow up, I had to go have my car tag transferred and they told me that I would have to pay for my 2007 tag in May. I hate growing up.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, this is brilliant! The fluctuation between panic and exhileration is spot on. Followed by pure gluttony, of course. It's amazing what happens when we become self-content! But that's because (as you said) we can do what we damn well please!! : )

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home