Monday, January 16, 2006

TAG, I'm It

I've been tagged. What the hell does that mean? I'm not sure. I'm usually not into this kind of thing, and I don't think I'll ever do it again. But I do appreciate the TAG from jennsylvania.

To the girls I've tagged at the end of this--don't feel obligated. I just love all of your blogs I thought I'd TAG you.

Enough dallying:




What is your earliest film-related memory?


I remember seeing Bambi at a drive in when I was a very very little girl. I remember the sound was too loud and there were so many different colors and pictures. I was enchanted and afraid all at the same time.

I also remember going to see ET with my dad and sitting in the dark theater and being so TERRIFIED when ET was really sick and so SAD when he finally went home.

Name two favorite lines from movies.

1. "Ah, it's so stimulating being your head." (from Labyrinth, starring David Bowie)
2. I'm having performance anxiety, so #1 is the best I can do right now.



Name three jobs you'd do if you could not work in "The Biz."


Okay, I know this is supposedly a screenwriting meme/tag thing, but I'm not a screenwriter. My "Biz" is publishing. So, three jobs I'd do if I could not work in publishing:

1. I'd love to replace Alton Brown as the announcer on Iron Chef America. I think I could totally kick his ass.

2. I'd love to teach horseback riding lessons.

3. I'd love to open a restaurant with spiceboy.


Name four jobs you have actually held outside the Industry.

1. I was a waitress.

2. I worked the in photocopy department of a medical library, where I had to copy medical journals with names like THE NARD JOURNAL and GLIA.

3. I worked retail for a small kiosk in the Pittsburgh International Airport.

Those are the only jobs I've worked outside of my "industry."


Name three book authors you like.


I only get three?

1. EB White. Charlotte's Web was the first chapter book I read on my own. My third grade teacher, Mrs. Hall, read it to us, and I asked my dad to take me to the bookstore so I could get my own copy. I can still remember the SMELL of that book--oatmealy and papery and full of promise. I read that book so many times, I used to be able to recite the first chapter by heart.

2. Michael Chabon. He blows my mind. He breaks my heart. I have a total writer's crush on him. BONUS--he got famous writing about Pittsburgh, the city of my birth.

3. Carole Maso. As you'll note from my PROFILE, The American Woman in the Chinese Hat is one of my favorite books of all time. I go back to it again and again--for inspiration, for filling a rainy Saturday afternoon, for reminding me that there are no finite possibilities for choosing how to live your life. I really think that someday, Carole Maso is going to be considered on of the greatest writers of our time.

You think I'd stop at three?

In no particular order: Joan Didion, Ruth Reichl, Melissa Bank, Amanda Hesser, Jeffery Steingarten, Augusten Burroughs, Laurie Notaro, Li-Young Lee (the poem Persimmons, in Rose, is so wonderful), Lewis Nordan, LaVyrle Spencer (you cannot judge me until you've read BITTERSWEET. If, after you've read it, you can tell me you don't love it, then we'll talk.) I could go on, but I want to finish this.

Name two movies you'd like to remake or properties you'd like to adapt.

I only have one:

THE LEGEND OF BILLIE JEAN.


Okay, girls, YOU'RE IT:


Erin

Style Girl

Lang