Sunday, January 08, 2006

New York Minute: Part Three

Today was just about as perfect as a Sunday can get in New York.

It was sunny and warm--no need for hat or gloves. I spent the day wandering the city--I snacked my way through the Lower East Side (thanks to the very helpful writings of The Girl Who Ate Everything). I wandered without really knowing where I was going, and without a map. I got lost and then found my way again. I bought a pair of green pumps which I absolutey do not need. I saw a movie with a friend, then we had dinner and people watched on Avenue A.

And this evening, as I was waiting for the 6 train at Astor Place to take me back uptown, I noticed movement down along the tracks. There, between the railroad ties, a rat scurried about. Not an usual activity for a rat in the subway.

But this rat was different, because it was dragging with it the decapitated body of another rat.

Nasty, right?

That's not all of it.

Every so often, it would stop and...snack on its companion.

It was a cannibal rat.

Oh. So. Gross.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

ewEwEW!!! But, I LOVE and covet the green pumps.

9:25 AM  
Blogger artdetective said...

Must've been the weather that brought the rodents out. Yesterday there was a mouse in my bathtub. Actually went from the kitchen into the bathroom and got in the tub. While my 6'2 signifiant other cowered in bed, I scooped up the little guy in a shoebox (formerly containing pumps!) and set him free. He was really cute, that mouse.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

I love wandering!...if I get tasty things. :D

Oookay, that rat thing is really disturbing.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

Ugh! That's a terrible thing to see when you're buying shoes. I haven't taken any fiction classes here (I do nonfiction), but Nordan is still teaching away at Pitt. The canibal rat image is so totally disturbing!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home