Monday, December 19, 2005

New York Minute: Part Two

So I pushed my way down to Soho tonight to finish up my shopping. The train was packed, the streets only slightly less so, and the lines in the stores were long. I jostled for position, my arms laden with bags, and waited patiently while neurotic women held up the line b/c they could not choose between red or green or gold ribbon for their $50 hand cream.

My errands finished, I found myself standing all alone on the corner of Spring and Crosby. My day had been so long, and I so dreaded the slow train home that I wandered toward the bright red awnings of Balthazar.

I sat at the crowded bar alone.

And I ordered a glass of Sancerre.

And I watched the bartender pop the cork in a bottle of champagne, shake a martini, make an espresso.

And I listened to the loud echo of the voices around me, the pretty clink of an espresso spoon on a saucer, and the music in the background--something with an accordion, I think.

And the wine was so refreshing, so welcome, so perfect, that I ordered another, and I enjoyed the way things blurred pleasantly at the edges.

I swirled the pale wine in its glass. I swirled it again on my tongue and I thought of the great hope that comes with living in Manhattan--the hope that anything can happen at any moment. But I'm new here, remember?

One last sip of my wine.

One final nod at the bartender.

And I was on the street again, walking several blocks in the wrong direction before finding my way to the train.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I don't miss New York at all. Sometimes I do.

What I don't miss about New York is taking all day to do something simple like buy Christmas presents.

What I do miss about New York is taking all day to do something simple like buy Christmas presents.

I don't miss Balthazar though. Except for take-out sandwiches and pastries on a Saturday afternoon. I miss that.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Oh, so nicely written.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would give my right arm to live up there, but my life is here, or so I keep telling myself. Oh and the FH's business is here too...how selfish of me!

3:13 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

That's great! I have totally done that too! But not at Balthazar, at another place called Lanterna di Vittorio. I don't know what compelled me to go in and have a glass of wine in the middle of the day but it was so great and relaxing and soothing I thought I had to do it more often. I've never done it at Balthazar but now I think I just might have to.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Lang said...

There is literally nothing better to do in this city than to sit on a cold day in cozy restaurant and drink a glass or two of wine. My favorite NYC activity.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I''ll be back. Later :)

3:13 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

just discovered your blog and am going through your archives, recalling my own "New to new york" stories. This is an absolutely beautiful post and put me right there with you.

thank you.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home