Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Land of the Forgotten Shoes

When I moved to Manhattan, I swore I would never be one of those dorky ladies you see walking down the sidewalk in a really great outfit and ugly sneakers.

I am now one of those dorky ladies.

Since my foot injury in September, I walk to work every day in my extremely comfortable but horribly unfashionable sneakers, and change into my more fashionable shoes when I get to the office.

The problem is, instead of taking my cute shoes home with me at the end of the day, I started shoving them into my bottom desk drawer, where I promptly forgot about them.

Until today.

This morning, while trying to pull together an outfit together for work, I tore apart my entire apartment in utter panic trying to find my very favorite red Mary Janes. They were nowhere to be found. Not under the bed. Not shoved in my closet. Not shoved in spiceboy’s closet. Not by the door, under the couch, or in the bathroom. I was sweaty, wild-eyed, and 20 minutes late before I realized where they were.

My desk drawer, of course.

And when I finally got to the office and opened my bottom drawer, I found not only my Mary Janes, but several other pairs of shoes and accessories I had completely forgotten about:

--red Mary Janes
--brown leather knee high boots
--black ballet flats
--black open toed kitten heels
--oversized black belt
--black pointy-toed flats

It was kind of like getting a whole new shoe wardrobe all over again.

I was going to take the shoes home w/ me, but I’ve decided to leave them at the office. That way, when I get to work in the morning, I can choose the proper shoe to suit my mood.

If I’m feeling sassy, I can slip on my pointy-toed black flats. If I’m feeling dainty and girly, the ballet flats are a good choice. If I’m going for librarian-chic (this is a new look I’m cultivating, also known as geek-chic), then it’s all about the Mary Janes.

So, I’m sitting here in my Mary Janes, feeling quite pleased with myself and my librarian chic look. But now that I think about it, the black ballet flats would give this outfit a nice girly flair.

I guess I can always change into them after lunch.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

Eeeuuuggghhh...shoe envy...

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or you could do what I've been doing: invest in so-ugly-they're-cute sneakers for the ride to and from work. Adds a whole new hipster element to your wardrobe.

And I love that feeling of checking out the shoes. I might change for the evening. I'm feeling bootsy-tootsie at the moment, but might want sweet round-toe ballet flats for the evening.

Hmmm...
DiWriter

4:08 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Case said...

I live in California, so fortunately I don't have to walk. Admittedly though, my car trunk serves the exact same purpose. But in addition to shoes and accessories there's food, books and important papers. If anyone ever stole my car, my identity would be compromised instantly. I promised myself that if I cheated and bought a third new car in as many years, I'd have to keep it clean. That lasted a week. Mental note: clean car!!

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I leave ALL my clothes at work. I come in every day in a bathrobe, and by the time I arrive I know what sort of mood I'm in.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

i feel jealous of people who can wear ballet flats on the street. what about puddles? those subway stairs get nasty! i usually wear my crocs during commutes and have to bring a huge duffle bag to hold my change of shoes. i don't think it's nerdy. i think it's shoe protection!

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update - I kept the boots on. Sadly, these boots were not made for walkin' and my little jaunt to and from the meatpacking district has left me thinking the sneakers will stay on all day tomorrow!

Long live casual friday!

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home