Tuesday, January 10, 2006

NERVE-ous Breakdown

When I was in the 7th grade, I used to help my friends with their romantic dilemmas by proofreading their love notes and spying on their boyfriends in study hall.

But the times have changed. Passing notes and spying in study hall have faded into obscurity, just like Sony Discmans and Gotcha bracelets.

The other night, quite unexpectedly, I found myself doing the adult version of passing notes and spying in study hall---I signed up for an account on Nerve so I could help my friend scope out potential dates.

I managed to skip past most of the "what's your personality" stuff without answering it, but they did make me fill out some basic "likes and dislikes" before they would approve my profile.

One of the questions was "what are your interests?"

And I answered something like: so I love long romantic walks on the beach and cute cuddly puppies, kittens, and baby seals.

I figured that if anyone was to accidentally stumble upon my profile, the baby seal thing would deter them from pursuing me further.

Then I went off to scope out dates for my friend.

And once my friend-ly duties were done, I signed off and didn't give it another thought. Until I checked my email the next morning.

I had three responses from a cross-section of Manahattan men: The scruffy/sensitive book guy, the older college profesor guy, and the conservative financial guy.

No kidding.

I think my next step is to convince spiceboy to sign up on Nerve to see how many responses he gets.

And to see if Nerve will actually match the two of us together.

If that doesn't work, I guess I could always try passing him notes in study hall.

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Hee. Too funny.

What, my dear, is a "Gotcha" bracelet?

9:57 AM  
Blogger cynic1 said...

I LOVE baby seals. They're delicious.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Lang said...

I really want to do that. I would obviously also respond to a man who said that he loved baby seals, because honestly, how good would that date be? The answer is "great."

1:03 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

That's hilarious. And...creepy.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home