Monday, January 23, 2006

Laundry Quandary

Yesterday, I woke up to find myself standing on the brink of laundry disater--nearly everything I owned was dirty. My favorite sweater, favorite jeans, favorite t shirts…all filthy and crumpled in a corner. Ditto for my socks and my underwear.

All of my underwear.

Every last pair.

So I dragged a huge back of clothing over to the nice lady at the Chinese laundry (site of the famous laundry fiasco), who promised she would have me back in my own freshly laundered undies in plenty of time for work this morning.

And thus began what I like to call Commando Sunday. I went Commando while walking in Central Park, Commando while shopping at Citarella, Commando while cleaning the apartment. Sure, it was a little weird and drafty at first, but it was also kind of liberating.

There’s just one problem. The laundry lady lied. When I went over VERY early this morning to pick up my clean clothing, it wasn’t finished.

This is when I started to panic. Just a little.

I briefly considered going Commando to work, but…no. Maybe that’s a little prudish of me, but…no. Frantic, I tore out the entire contents of my dresser, searching for a stray pair of undies—but wasn’t even a pair of granny panties left. Then I checked spiceboy’s drawers, just in case a stray pair of my panties got mixed in w/ his clothing.

Nada.

Humph. What’s a girl to do?

What’s a girl to do on a rainy Monday morning when she’s got a big day at work and all of her underwear is being held hostage at the Chinese laundry and going Commando is out of the question?

She makes use of what she has, that’s what.

You see, during my frantic search, I discovered that the ever-organized spiceboy just happens to have an entire drawer full of cute, clean little boxer briefs.

And spiceboy is out of town taking care of spicebusiness, so it’s not like he’d miss them.

And I was running late and I had to make a quick decision.

So here I am at work. And under my super cute plaid skirt, I’m wearing a pair of spiceboy’s gray boxer briefs.

It’s actually quite comfortable.

Happy Monday.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Way to improvise. Plus a chick wearing a guy's underwear is kinda hot (like that whole woman in a man's dress shirt thing). HOWEVER, that does not work the other way around...

2:22 PM  
Blogger Bored Housewife said...

Awesome. I am very proud of you--it's quite a brave thing to do, really.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

Hmmm. I would never have even thought of man undies. Did you consider tights with the cotton crotch thingy? Or spandex shorts? I feel like both of those garments are underwear-esque. Was your wash done by the end of the day? What will Tuesday bring?? Perhaps Spiceboy should send you some Steelers undies, which are readily available here.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

Girl, I have been in the EXACT same predicament. Fortunately, the Ex used to wear briefs--colored ones, in shades of black, grey, & teal mostly. In fact, I'm sure there were days when we were riding in your little blue beetle & I was wearing his undies. And you didn't even know!

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, sometimes reading this blog I feel I am getting to know a LITTLE too much about you...

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm... could we try to break out of our binary gender dead lock. who believes a designation on a manufacutred underwear package anyway. and patrick, who are you to say it doesn't work the other way around. Homophobe much?

9:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Actually I was making a joke. Sense of humor, much?

12:52 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

In dire situations like these, I always run out to a vickies and pick up a pair of those PINK cotton undies...they're usually 5 for $25 so I end up stocking up for a few days...actually pretty cute despite the "cotton" connotation...

Man-derwear...never woulda thought...prob the way to go if you're in need of cost-savings...

11:22 AM  
Blogger AWE said...

Commando in a skirt could have been risky.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now thats....what i call....resourceful.
;-)

thanks for stopping by zen!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I've done it too, though my current boyfriend outweighs me by about a hundred pounds and I'd have to belt his britches if I wore them.

4:30 PM  
Blogger JUST ME said...

i like your blog.
Cool attitude. :)
~Jess

2:36 PM  
Blogger Crazy Girl City said...

Hahaha. I did this once.......and it wasn't all that bad. Now if my boyfriend borrowed a pair of mine? I might think differently.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome. Was the first word which came out after reading it. Nice writing style too. Quite witty.

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home