Sunday, May 07, 2006

Famous Last Words

Way back in the footloose and fancy free days of college in Pittsburgh, Pennyslvania, I spent most of my time either studying or working at spiceboy's lovely restaurant, Spice World.

This was long ago. Before spiceboy and I ever thought of becoming a couple. Before I had a college degree. Before wireless internet. Before my move to New York.

I distinctly remember sitting out on the back stoop of the restaurant one sunny summer day between shifts, smoking a Camel Light, and chattering with the other waitresses. My hands were still sticky from the sweet chili sauce I had to spoon into little bowls for the customers, and the smell of garlic and oil from the wok blew out through the screen door and into the parking lot.

Somehow, the topic of weddings had come up, and everyone was chiming in on what they did and didn't want, from dresses to music to food.

Now, I have never been a girl who fantasized about her wedding day. Oh, don't get me wrong--I have plenty of unrealistic fantasies, most involving fame, fortune, and ridiculous amounts of food. Playing princess for a day in a pouffy white dress has never been one of them.

Anyway.

"What about you?" one of the waitresses asked me. "Do you ever think about your wedding?"

"Um," I said. "I don't know. I think when I get married, I'd like for the food to be from Spice World."

"Seriously?"

The truth was, I'd just kind of blurted that out. But I really loved food, and I really loved the food at Spice World, so it made sense.

At that moment, spiceboy passed through the kitchen, and I yelled to him through the screen door.

"Hey, spiceboy!"

He walked up to the screen and looked out at me. "Yeah?"

"When I get married, will you cater my wedding?" I asked. The other waitresses giggled.

spiceboy looked at all of us for a long moment like we were the silliest creatures he'd ever seen and like he didn't quite know what to do with us.

He looked at us like that a lot.

"Sure. Sure, I'll cater your wedding," he said. "Just tell me when and where."

Then he retreated back into the shadowy depths of the restaurant.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Spiceboy will be Groom AND caterer? Is this a Pittsburgh tradition?

11:28 AM  
Blogger kate.d. said...

what a great little story.

coincidences like this are what make me want to keep going through life...just to see how it all shakes out, you know? to have those little moments where you go, "wow. can you believe that?"

6:44 PM  
Blogger Paperback Writer said...

;)

So, you're already putting Spiceboy to work, eh?

Is he doing the cookie table too?

9:39 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

so is spice world catering the wedding after all? even if spice boy is not preparing the food, will another spice world chef be cooking? since your caterer quit and all...oy what a nightmare!

12:15 AM  
Blogger artdetective said...

That is really sweet.

I tried to comment on your truffled goat cheese post, but there is no comment link. Yes! I totally know the feeling!

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE that story! Who knew then how things would turn out now?! Thanks for sharing a little kismet with us :-)

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I too tried to leave a comment, but found no comment link for Yesterday's Blog. I know that exact feeling. We probably have all awaited a dreaded email, I
suppose its better than awaiting a dreaded letter via snail mail - as that would take longer. If it helps just tell yourself ~ Whatever the problem - I SHALL
deal with it somehow. Hey, the "pretentious" food sounded yummy!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Me said...

:) Nice.

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home