Thursday, September 21, 2006

A Post About Nothing

Lately, I’ve been taking great efforts to eat very healthily. I try to stick to fresh fruits and veggies whenever possible. I’ve cut down on my cheese consumption. I’ve started taking soy milk or skim milk in my coffee rather than half and half.

I don’t think the results are visible from the outside, but on the inside, I feel great. I have more energy. And of course there’s that self-righteous satisfaction of being healthy, and let's be honest--who doesn't love that?

And the pooping situation? Well, let’s just say that all trains are running on schedule these days.

But alas, there are weak moments. Moments when, despite my best efforts, I succumb to the temptations of sugars, butterfat, and hydrogenated oils. This morning, I had such a moment.

I was on my way to work, and a morning errand gave me occasion to walk past the Buttercup Bake Shop. As I passed by, I glanced inside. It was brightly lit, and standing in the large front window were workers in cute little aprons, slathering great big, cloud-like dollops of pastel icing on millions of tiny, perfect, happy cupcakes. I stopped walking. What is it about cupcakes?

Oh, God.

I stood there, drooling, as a woman in a smart suit pushed through the door of the shop and stepped onto the sidewalk. She held a Buttercup bag in one perfectly manicured hand, a coffee cup in the other. The air that wafted out behind her was sugary sweet, buttery, irresistible. The little bell on the door handle jingled as it swung closed behind her.

Oh, God.

I thought about the arsenal of healthy breakfast foods I had waiting for me at work—a packet of nuts, a gorgeous Bosc pear, a banana. All paled in comparison. I was at the very gateway to Cupcake Mecca!

I took a deep breath, pulled open the door, stepped inside, and gazed in wonder at the cupcake cornucopia before me. There were cupcakes of every kind—from chocolate to vanilla to cinnamon, and even red velvet. A traditionalist from way back, I took great care in choosing a golden cupcake with buttercream icing.

I also ordered a large coffee. With cream.

As I walked the rest of the way to work, I caught my reflection in a window and smiled. It was the smile of a woman satisfied.

4 Comments:

Blogger Paperback Writer said...

...mmmm...cupcakes.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Joan said...

mmmmm...banana cupcakes

12:57 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

i hope you still ate the pear, too. how yummy is that for a sidedish when the main course is cupcake!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Copyright 2010 by Carol Scibelli said...

This is why "French Women Don't Get Fat" - they don't deny themselves...but they don't pig out either...better a single cupcake than continual dipping your spoon into a half gallon of Vanilla Fudge ice-cream..before you know it...it's gone.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home