Friday, March 02, 2007

What I Dream of on Dreary Friday Mornings

Just after Christmas, spiceboy and I took a trip to Thailand and to Vietnam. It was the first time for both of us, and a totally wonderful and mind-blowing experience.

I don't think I'll ever experience something again in just that way--wide-eyed, frightened, amazed. It was freeing to be so far outside of the everyday world I've gotten used to. It was a relief to be reminded that the life we live everyday isn't the only life that's availble to us, the world that we see everyday isn't the only world we'll ever see.

For me, Bangkok will always be hot air and smells of soap and durian fruit and cries of sawadii-ka! and exhaust and something else the air--sweet and chemcial--like dryer sheets.

The beach at Pranburi, where we had the privelege of spending several days, will always be seawater and pineapples and flowers. And sunrises. Let's not forget the sunrises, which we made sure we watched every morning from the desserted beach, our bare feet buried in the cool sand, squeezing each other's hands in delight, and breathing deeply so we wouldn't forget a single moment.




Happy Friday!