Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Spring is Right Around the New York Corner

As I was trudging out to work this morning, I noticed something different in the air. It is warmer today—noticeably warmer than it’s been lately. And when I passed by the bodega on the corner, the 8 am sunshine illuminated the tulips on display outside, and I thought of spring for the first time since last year—sunlight and Easter eggs and small green leaves on the skinny brown tree branches in Central Park, and I felt my whole body sigh with relief. Spring.

Standing on the corner in that gorgeous sunlight, I was seized with the urge to shirk my better judgment, to shake my hair out of my itchy cap, to peel off my gloves.

Then a speeding cab threw a horrible wave of black slush onto the curb right at my feet, and I remembered the sleet from last week, the terrible cold I’ve not quite gotten over, the fact that it’s only February 20th. So I pulled my scarf a little more tightly around my neck and hunkered down a little deeper in my wool coat. I gave the tulips one last loving glance, sidestepped an icy puddle, picked my way over a frozen snowdrift at the crosswalk on 69th Street, and continued down the long, icy avenue toward spring.

9 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

ARE YOU BACK!!??!

xoxoxox

12:43 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Any way is a good way, my dear.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Paperback Writer said...

OHMYGOD!

Are you back?!?!?!


You have no idea the shock you gave me when you commented on my stupid tidbit post.

1:15 PM  
Blogger ninny said...

welcome back!! please buy yourself some tulips....and post pics of betty.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Me said...

You're back???
Nice!!!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Billie Mercer said...

Why did I click on your blog today? I don't know but I was happy to see you're back.....at least I hope you are.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Kitty said...

I missed you soooo much! How was Thailand?

9:57 AM  
Blogger kate.d. said...

hey, east side girl! i hope you'll be writing again for a while :) i've been hesitating to take you off my blogroll, for hope that you'd reappear!!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Madame Pinot said...

yay! you are back!

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home