Sunday, March 30, 2008

This is What a Relationship Looks Like from the Inside

Spiceboy and I are lying on the bed.

"Your baby is moving all around in there," I tell him.

"Really?" he says, placing a hand over my belly. We are both quiet for a few moments, waiting for that phantom kick.

I take a deep breath, and when I exhale, I accidentally fart. Spiceboy's eyes widen as he feels the movement in my belly. The expression on his face is so sweet and full of wonder that I almost hate to ruin the moment.

"Um," I say, "I'm sorry. That wasn't the baby kicking."

"Then what was it?"

"I farted," I say, then burst out laughing.

Spiceboy throws me a look, but surprisingly, he doesn't take his hand from my belly, so we lie there for a few more minutes, waiting.

"I just felt something!" he says, his face jubilant.

"Sorry," I say. "Farted again."