Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Some Very Small Things

Morning in the apartment. Outside, it is raining. Only the kitchen light is on. Somewhere in the apartment, I can hear the puppy playing. She is so sweet. She smells like cookies, someone said the other day, and I think they are right.

In the sink, a few wine glasses, a dirty dish.

Near the door, the umbrella.

In the aftermath of the wedding, which was such a big thing, it seems I have developed an obsession with the small things.

Like the way the milk swirls in my cup of coffee.

The shadow of spiceboy in bed while he sleeps.

The quiet of the streets on a rainy morning.

The small things are such a relief sometimes, aren't they?

But now I must get ready for work. Take a shower. Pin up my hair. Put on my black skirt. Grab my umbrella. Start my day.

Happy Wednesday.